Before encountering this recipe, I cannot believe that beef stew can be deliciously cooked with an Asian twist! Thanks to my friend (again!), Ms. Claudia Lee Kimura, who recommended this recipe, I now will always have alternatives to enjoying beef stew! Who would ever imagine that you can add fish sauce, lemongrass, star anise, ginger to a beef stew!?
I tweaked the recipe to simplify the cooking process and time by utilizing the Instant Pot pressure cooker. The result is soupier than the original recipe and so, we like to enjoy this dish by dipping bread like baguettes into the stew!
|INGREDIENTS (2-3 SERVINGS)|
|Beef Chuck||0.8lb / 400g|
|[MARINATE] Lemongrass Stalk||1|
|[MARINATE] Fish Sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|[MARINATE] Brown Sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|[MARINATE] Five Spice Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|[A] Yellow Onion||½|
|[A] Ginger||1 Slice|
|[A] Minced Garlic||½ Teaspoon|
|[A] Star Anise||1|
|[A] Cinnamon Stick||1|
|[A] Tomato Paste||1 Tablespoon|
|[A] Water||1 Cup / 250ml|
|Fish Sauce||½ Tablespoon|
- Cut beef chuck meat into bite-size pieces.
- Use the handle of the knife, gently press the white section of the lemongrass stalk flat and finely mince it.
- Then in a container, combine [MARINATE] ingredients with the meat and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Cut onion into slices and carrot into smaller pieces.
- Turn on sauté mode in the pressure cooker, heat some oil in the pot and place the marinated beef into the pot to slightly brown the beef for about 3 minutes.
- Turn off sauté mode, add all of the [A] ingredients into the pot, stir well and ensure the beef is all covered in the liquid and cook for 20 minutes (high pressure).
- When the pressure cooker has finished cooking and pressure is released, add fish sauce and turn on sauté mode to cook 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or baguette.
Recipe adapted from [Marion’s Kitchen]