Whenever I hear the word Pho, I’d immediately relate to a beef broth based bowl of noodles. But there is also a lighter version of Pho that is chicken broth based called Pho Ga. It’s easy to make as you mostly just need to pour all the ingredients into the pressure cooker and it will do all the magical work for you in 20 minutes! Since this Pho has a chicken soup base, it could be a good meal when any of the family members are feeling a little under the weather.
By the way, did you know? Vietnamese tend to have Pho for breakfast or lunch, seldom for dinner!!
|ingredients (4 servings)|
|Chicken Drumsticks||6-8 Pieces|
|[SOUP BASE] Chicken Broth||6 Cups / 1500ml|
|[SOUP BASE] Fish Sauce||2 Tablespoons|
|[SOUP BASE] Sugar||½ Tablespoon|
|[SOUP BASE] Ground Coriander||½ Tablespoon|
|[SOUP BASE] Cilantro||4 Strands|
|Pho Noodles||4 Servings|
|Suggested Toppings:||Cilantro, scallions, fresh Thai basil, fresh mint, |
bean shoots, lime wedges, red chili, etc.
- Optional (If you prefer a less oily soup base): Remove skin and fat from drumsticks.
- Cut the onion into half and ginger into 6 slices.
- Turn on the Instant Pot pressure cooker on sauté mode, heat some oil in the pot, cook the onion and ginger slices gently.
- Add the drumsticks and the [SOUP BASE] ingredients into the Instant Pot, then together with the existing onion and ginger slices, cook for 20 minutes (high pressure).
- In a separate pot, cook the pho noodles in boiling water. When noodles are cooked, rinse to remove starchy residue.
- When the pressure cooker has finished cooking, quick release the steam, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Serve noodles and pour soup in a bowl, take chicken meat out from the drumsticks and place desired toppings over the noodles.
Recipe adapted from [Gina Homolka’s Cookbook: Skinnytaste One and Done]