This version of the Puerto Rican Beans and Rice differs slightly compared to the traditional one as it is not as pasty. I also added ground meat in it to increase the variety of foods into one dish. It is a dish which I like to make when I could only serve one dish for the meal where is it all carb, meat and veggies in one. If you have a decent amount of spices at home, just throw in everything in the pressure cooker and your meal will be ready within 30 minutes!
|ingredients (4 servings)|
|Ground Beef||0.5lb / 250g|
|Green Bell Pepper||1|
|Minced Garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Red Kidney Beans (Canned)||7oz / 200g|
|Diced Tomato (Canned)||7oz / 200g|
|[SEASONING] Salt||½ Teaspoon|
|[SEASONING] Black Pepper||¼ Teaspoon|
|[SEASONING] Dried Oregano||¼ Teaspoon|
|[SEASONING] Ground Coriander||¼ Teaspoon|
|[SEASONING] Ground Cumin||¼ Teaspoon|
|[SEASONING] Turmeric Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
|[SEASONING] Garlic Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
|[SEASONING] Dried Bay Leave||1|
|[SEASONING] Water||½ Cup / 100ml|
- Finely dice the onion, carrot, and green bell pepper.
- Turn on the Instant Pot pressure cooker on sauté mode, heat some oil in the pot, pour in the grated garlic, diced onion, carrot, green bell pepper and gently cook them.
- Add the ground meat to the pot. Then use the edge of the wooden spoon, try to break up the meat in order to avoid from forming into meat chunks.
- Add the canned beans, canned diced tomato, and [SEASONING] ingredients into the pot and stir well.
- Turn off sauté mode, cover the pressure cooker with the lid and cook for 12 minutes (high pressure).
- When the pressure cooker has finished cooking, release the steam, sauté for 3 minutes. (It available, it would be best to cover the pressure cooker with a glass lid in order to keep the juice during the sauté.)
- While on sauté mode, cut the tomatoes and avocado into slices.
- Then serve the beans over steamed rice and top with the sliced tomatoes and avocado.
Recipe adapted from [Skinnytaste]