This dish, “scrambled eggs with shrimps” (滑蛋蝦仁), is probably considered one of the most cooked dishes in Hong Kong homes. Chinese families tend to serve a few main dishes and place them in the middle of a round table so everybody can share and taste a little bit of each dish while each having their own bowl of white rice. So this scrambled egg with shrimps dish is usually served as one of the many dishes without rice.
This particular one, however, is served on top of a bed of steamed rice as it is inspired by an old local cafe in Hong Kong (which is now closed). They were known for their medium-rare runny scrambled eggs which is either mixed with HK style roasted BBQ pork strips or shrimps. Since I don’t have any BBQ pork on hand, here is a version with shrimps. I hope you will like it too!
|INGREDIENTS (2 Servings)|
|Shrimps||About 20 mid-size pieces|
|Salt & White Pepper||For seasoning|
|[EGG] Salt||½ Teaspoon|
|[EGG] Cooking Oil||2 Teaspoons|
|[EGG] Milk||3 Tablespoons|
- Remove heads and shells from the shrimps and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Season the shrimps with a dash of salt and white pepper.
- Dice the scallions.
- Whisk the eggs. Then combine the diced scallions and the [EGG] ingredients with the egg batter and mix well.
- Prepare two servings plates, put a bed of steamed rice for one serving on each of the plates.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan on medium heat, cook the shrimps until cooked through, set aside on a plate.
- In the same frying pan, heat some more oil again on medium-low heat. When the oil warms up, pour half of the egg batter and half of the previously cooked shrimps to the pan.
- Use a silicone spatula, keep pushing the egg batter towards the middle of the pan while the egg is cooking. When the eggs are 50% cooked, turn off the heat and continue to fold the egg by pushing the egg batter towards the middle of the pan. When the eggs are 80% cooked, remove eggs from pan to serving plates on top of the bed of rice immediately.
- Add some oil to the same pan again, pour the rest of the egg and shrimps to the pan and repeat step 8 for the second serving.
NOTE: If you would like to serve it as a serving dish which is shared among other main dishes, you can cut the ingredients in half, make one serving instead, skip step 9 and the rice!